Moving to Universal Credit

Don’t lose out

If you receive tax credits or tax credits with other benefits, you will soon receive a notice to move to Universal Credit. These notices are being sent by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Anyone on Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or Housing Benefit will receive it over the next few years. It’s expected that those who get Employment and Support Allowance (but no other benefits) will be the last to be moved over.

What to look out for

A letter called a ‘Universal Credit Migration Notice’ from the DWP will be sent to tax credit claimants. Look out for the HMRC logo on the letter. This migration notice is important as it will tell you that your existing benefits are stopping and that you need to make a claim for Universal Credit. It will also tell you what you need to do and by when. If there is no deadline on the letter (eg a leaflet or other letter telling you to get ready for Universal Credit), this is not your official migration notice and you should wait before attempting to claim Universal Credit. You may lose out on benefits if you claim before receiving your proper migration notice.

Are your legacy benefits ending?

If you have received a letter from HMRC or the DWP about your legacy benefits ending, it’s important to seek benefits advice before taking any action to claim Universal Credit. Our Tenant Advice Service can be reached by emailing Alternatively you can contact The Advice Shop ( or Citizens Advice Edinburgh.